Table of contents:
- Exit restrictions from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m
- Which shops are still open?
- Are restaurants and coffee houses open?
- Have museums, cinemas, theaters, concert halls or opera houses open
- Working at the workplace or in the home office?
- What about schools?
- Do children have to wear a mask in class?
- Since there will be increased police checks at night: How can I prove the reason why I have to go out?
- Do I have to be in my own apartment after 8 p.m.?
- My partner doesn't live with me? Can I stay with him / her?
- Can friends visit me at home?
- Can i use my car? Is your own car a private area?
- Can you take a taxi?
- Can I still do sports?
- Are gyms or indoor sports facilities open?
- Can I see a doctor?
- Which celebrations or events are not allowed?
- Which events are allowed?
- Can I stay in hotels, youth hostels or guest houses?
From Tuesday, November 3rd, 2020, exit restrictions will apply throughout Austria. What does that mean for you personally?
The number of corona infections has risen rapidly in Austria in the last few days, which is why the federal government announced a new lockdown, which should reduce social contacts and thus the possibility of infection. From Tuesday, November 3rd, the following regulations will apply until now (in addition to the mask requirement and distance rules in public places):
Exit restrictions from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m
The rule is: stay at home. You can only leave your own apartment between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m.:
- when necessary basic needs of daily life have to be met
- for professional reasons
- for physical and psychological recovery (e.g. going for a walk, jogging, walking)
- for the care of people in need of support
- when danger threatens
Which shops are still open?
The trade remains open, the mask requirement and distance regulations apply.
- Supermarket and grocery store: Yes
- Retail: Yes
- Drugstores: Yes
- Pharmacies: yes
Services where the distance regulations cannot be adhered to will also remain open: the mask requirement applies.
- Hairdressers: Yes
- Beauty salons: Yes
- Massage therapists: Yes
Are restaurants and coffee houses open?
No, the gastronomy has to be closed from Tuesday. However, it is always possible to have food delivered and picked up between 6 a.m. and 8 p.m.
Have museums, cinemas, theaters, concert halls or opera houses open
Working at the workplace or in the home office?
If possible, the government recommends switching to home office. However, there are no legal requirements for this. A distance of at least one meter must be maintained at the workplace. In addition, the start and end of work should be staggered if possible in order to avoid crowds at peak times.
What about schools?
Do children have to wear a mask in class?
Whether a mask is compulsory when sitting in the school class depends on the respective school management. All teachers receive FFP2 masks.
Since there will be increased police checks at night: How can I prove the reason why I have to go out?
Interior Minister Karl Nehammer (ÖVP) commented on the exit restrictions "Anyone who is caught with beer at night will get a complaint." However, he also stated that you do not need to provide any evidence (from a doctor or employer) if you are outside at night. And the exception rule "for physical and mental recovery" could be interpreted relatively broadly. You just have to make the police officers believe that you have a valid reason.
Do I have to be in my own apartment after 8 p.m.?
Yes, in contrast to the lockdown in spring, it is explicitly stated that you have to be in your own apartment. Except:
My partner doesn't live with me? Can I stay with him / her?
Yes, this contact falls under basic human needs. Therefore, this can also be visited after 8 p.m. This also applies to family. However, it is not precisely defined how far the family circle applies.
Can friends visit me at home?
It is recommended to keep the number of people you meet or visit as low as possible. In addition, according to the government, a visit to the Freundeskreis is no reason to leave your own apartment between 8 p.m. and 6 a.m. A bitter blow for anyone living alone - which affects 639,000 men and 799,000 women in Austria. However, there will be no private controls of the living quarters.
Can i use my car? Is your own car a private area?
According to the ÖAMTC, private cars may be used for the 5 purposes mentioned above. Driving home in your own car after visiting friends after 8 p.m. would therefore not be permitted.
Can you take a taxi?
Taxis and taxi-like operations can still be used. However, only two people may be carried in each row of seats (including the driver). It is compulsory to wear mouth and nose protection.
Can I still do sports?
Sports that are practiced alone or outdoors, such as cycling or running, are still possible. Here, too, compliance with the minimum distance applies.
Are gyms or indoor sports facilities open?
No, indoor sports are not possible.
Can I see a doctor?
Visits to the doctor are part of covering the necessary basic needs and are allowed at any time. However, if you have symptoms typical of corona, you should not visit the practice, but call the telephone hotline 1450. In addition, from 2.11. telephone sick leave is possible again.
Which celebrations or events are not allowed?
- Private celebrations in public spaces are not allowed.
- There are no official regulations for private celebrations in private living quarters, but personal responsibility is advocated.
- Public events are prohibited: These include sporting events, wedding celebrations, cultural events, film screenings, trips with coaches or excursion boats, exhibitions, congresses, trade fairs and occasional markets.
Which events are allowed?
While maintaining the minimum distance and wearing a mask:
- Funerals for a maximum of 50 people
- Sports events in top-class sport without an audience
- professional meetings that are strictly necessary
- Meetings of a maximum of six people, although they may only come from two different households, as well as their underage children.
- Church services
Can I stay in hotels, youth hostels or guest houses?
Only in exceptional cases. People who are already accommodated at the beginning of the lockdown can stay for the agreed time.